MASHANTUCKET, CT (October 23, 2020) – Foxwoods Resort Casino, the premier resort casino in North America, has reopened its largest indoor entertainment venue, the Grand Theater, resuming shows at 25% capacity. The resort’s return to hosting live performances began with comedian Bob Marley on October 16 and 17, ushering in a safe and successful start. Tribute band Almost Queen is set to perform next on November 5 with additional acts to follow throughout November and December. Foxwoods is one of the first destinations in the US to cautiously reintroduce live entertainment in a large-scale theater.
The reopening of the Grand Theater brings a new wave of considerable safety protocols on top of the resort’s already extensive plan. Developed by local experts and the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe’s Chief Medical Officer, new guidelines include a reconfigured theater operating at 25% capacity, featuring fewer seats to allow for more social distancing and a safer entering and exiting process; reserved entry times to eliminate crowds; an enhanced contactless ticketing approach; mandatory face masks (aside from the performer on-stage); groups spaced a minimum of three seats apart; and a maximized ventilation system for fresh air flow.
“We have been intricately planning how to safely resume live, indoor entertainment for over four months which resulted in a thoughtful and slow process to ensure we rebuilt the right infrastructure in our theaters,” said Monique Sebastian, VP of Entertainment and Entertainment Marketing at Foxwoods Resort Casino. “We’ve remained fiercely committed to only reopening parts of the resort when we feel it is safe to do so. With our new entertainment guidelines, we feel confident we have developed a new standard of safety not only for our guests, team members, and artists, but for the entertainment industry as a whole. Each protocol was developed with our local community in mind, and we’ll be constantly monitoring our approach to ensure the highest level of security.”
The entertainment safety plan for The Grand Theater can be found here. In addition to Almost Queen on November 5, guests will also be able to catch more live entertainers like Vic DiBitetto on November 13, Anthony Rodia on December 4, Rob Schneider on December 11 and Bob Marley again on December 26. Visit www.foxwoods.com/entertainment to learn more and book tickets for upcoming shows.
Highlights of the new entertainment safety measures include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Occupancy of the Grand Theater will be limited to 25% capacity to begin, or 1,100 attendees.
- A highly calculated new traffic system and pattern to eliminate cross-traffic when entering and exiting the theater. Guests will reserve a designated entry time when purchasing tickets, and will be guided in and out by an usher. Guests will be directed to exit the venue according to color-coded seating sections.
- Face masks will be required for all entering the venue, including employees, guests, and artists – except during their performance while on stage only.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be provided throughout the venue and back of house, particularly in locations of high touch surfaces.
- To encourage fewer touchpoints, printed tickets will not be available on site. Guests may print tickets at home or use a mobile ticket.
- Parties will be spaced a minimum of 3 seats apart in every other row, and the front row of seats is 15 feet from the performers. Each theater section will be color-coded to indicate which section guests have been seated in. Markers will be used to keep unoccupied seats closed and prohibit people from moving or changing seats.
- Theater ventilation systems will be set to maximize fresh air to the greatest extent possible.
- All concession sales (food, beverage and merchandise) will be suspended to avoid large group gatherings.
- Meet and greets, including VIP packages and fan club initiatives, will be suspended.
Since reopening to the public four months ago, Foxwoods continues to hold a positive safety track record driven by guests and team members continually respecting health protocols and maintaining social distancing. As part of the resort’s ongoing commitment to ensuring a safe environment, Foxwoods implemented new safety protocols and operating procedures in partnership with medical experts. All protocols, including those set in place for reopening entertainment venues, will continue to be reevaluated and enhanced as necessary.
Tickets purchased for Almost Queen’s March 4, 2020 show will be valid for the new date. For more information on Foxwoods’ continued reopening plan, as well as the resort’s response to the pandemic, please visitwww.foxwoods.com/welcomeback and www.foxwoods.com/coronavirus.
About Foxwoods Resort Casino
1As the largest resort casino in North America, Foxwoods Resort Casino offers guests a premier destination resort experience throughout its six world-class casinos; AAA Four-Diamond hotels featuring over 2,200 rooms; dining options for all tastes; luxurious spas; award-winning golf; state-of-the-art theaters; Tanger Outlet Mall; conference space for groups of all sizes; and free online casino games at FoxwoodsONLINE.com. There is always something new at Foxwoods, most recently the arrival of Foxwoods Extreme Adventures. Adventure knows no limit as guests can zipline or race around on a European-style indoor karting track. Foxwoods Resort Casino truly is The Wonder Of It All, providing a personalized and exciting escape for everyone. Foxwoods, opened in 1992, is owned and operated by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation. For a detailed look at Foxwoods Resort Casino and Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation visit Foxwoods.com or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.